Thursday, October 31, 2013

Wighton deal starts Ricky era in style

The Kangaroos have used one their days off between World Cup matches to mingle with the stars of the world's biggest football club, Manchester United.

Jack Wighton for the Raiders.

Jack Wighton for the Raiders. Source: News Limited

RICKY Stuart has begun his new era at the Raiders in style, signing star youngster Jack Wighton for a further two seasons.

The talented outside back was already committed to the Green Machine for 2014 and has now extended his deal until the end of 2016.

Still just 20, Wighton made his representative debut for Country Origin in 2013 and has already played 27 NRL matches since making his debut for the Raiders in 2012.

New coach and Canberra prodigal son Stuart conducted his first training session with the squad on Thursday, 15 years after leaving the club as a player for the Bulldogs.

"Getting back to pre-season training yesterday and seeing all the boys faces made my decision really easy as I love this group of boys and can't wait to play alongside them for the next few years," Wighton said.

"I made a phone call to my Pop and he gave me some advice in that I should remain loyal to the team that gave me a chance to start my career and I took that on board as well."

"Having the leg injury at the end of the year got me down a bit but I realised it's something I can come back from and I can't wait to put in a big effort this pre-season and get back on the field.

"There's a really good feeling at the club at the moment and we're looking at building a strong culture."

Stuart will now turn his attention to retaining young gun Anthony Milford, who has been offered a $1m-a-year contract to stay at the Raiders and turn down a bid from the Broncos.

01 Nov, 2013


-
Source: http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/jack-wighton-deal-starts-new-coach-ricky-stuarts-era-in-style-at-the-canberra-raiders/story-fndv2wef-1226751316545?from=public_rss
--
Manage subscription | Powered by rssforward.com