Thursday, October 31, 2013

Quade Cooper: From toxic to top pick

Newly appointed Wallabies vice captain Quade Cooper says he's changed his ways after a couple of turbulent years and is reaping the rewards.

Quade Cooper has been named Wallabies vice-captain for the clash with England at Twickenham.

Quade Cooper has been named Wallabies vice-captain for the clash with England at Twickenham. Source: Getty Images

CONTROVERSIAL playmaker Quade Cooper has capped a remarkable turnaround by going from Wallabies outcast to leader.

It all kicked off with his now infamous "toxic environment'' comments in September last year, after which he was routinely overlooked for Test duties by then coach Robbie Deans.

But with Ewen McKenzie taking over from Deans mid-way through 2013, and an increasingly contrite Cooper mending his outspoken ways, the one-time bad boy has gone from Wallaby sinner to saint - named vice-captain for Australia's Test clash with England at Twickenham.

We chart Cooper's year in quotes, and measure how he has transformed from "toxic" to top pick.

SEPTEMBER 23, 2012

The comments that kicked it all off came as Cooper addressed some wayward tweets that criticised the Wallabies' style of play under Deans.

"There's a lot of people who are afraid to say what they feel so they just go along with it and nothing is going to change,'' Cooper said.

"That's why I feel so strongly as a player. I don't want to be involved in the toxic environment, and that's how it is at the moment.

"It's an environment where things aren't going according to plan and everyone is looking to point the finger."

TOXICITY READING: 10

SEPTEMBER 27, 2012

Speaking on Fox Sports' The Rugby Club, Cooper revealed that he wouldn't have played against the Springboks in South Africa had he been fit and had he been instructed to run a "defensive" game plan.

"Well no because, like I said, the environment there is one I don't feel comfortable with," Cooper said.

"And if I don't feel comfortable and I don't feel I can give 100 per cent for my country and for that yellow jersey then that's a very big problem."

TOXICITY READING: 10

NOVEMBER 1, 2012:

After copping a $40,000 fine from the ARU over his "toxic environment'' comments, Cooper was in an apologetic mood.

"I understand that I fell well below par in what it means to be a Wallaby,'' Cooper said.

"For all the supporters that are out there, my apologies.

"I'm just looking forward to the future, hopefully having a big year, with not only my state but the Wallabies.''

Quade Cooper in action against the All Blacks earlier this year.

Quade Cooper in action against the All Blacks earlier this year. Source: AFP

TOXICITY READING: 3

NOVEMBER 27, 2012

Cooper copped his fine but that didn't stop him from fighting - literally. He put his rugby career on hold to focus on boxing.

"As it stands now, I'm still contracted (with the ARU) until the end of December,'' Cooper said.

"I don't really have an option to continue with rugby at the moment, so for now I'm just focusing on getting my body right.

"I'm still training with the Reds, I'm still contracted with them. I'm just putting my full focus on getting my body right for the upcoming boxing fight.''

TOXICITY READING: 9

DECEMBER 7, 2012:

Cooper rejected overseas offers to re-sign with the ARU and said he was "very happy'' to remain in rugby union. He also declared that he had no issue with Deans.

"He's the coach. It (their relationship) is not something I have to improve," Cooper said.

"His job is to coach and get the best out of the team.

"My first goal is to get back out there for Queensland and then if I play well the opportunity will arise to play for my country.

"It is a big year coming up."

TOXICITY READING: 8

APRIL 15, 2013:

Ahead of the British and Irish Lions series, Cooper was overlooked by Deans for a Wallabies planning camp. Cooper said plenty of ``water had gone under the bridge'' since his ``toxic environment'' comments.

"Whether that's being held against me, I don't buy into that too much,'' he said.

"I've spoken to Robbie since then a few times. We've sorted things out.

"It's not something that I feel is going to impact on anything, and if it has, then so be it.''

TOXICITY READING: 7

JULY 11, 2013:

Following McKenzie's appointment as Wallabies coach, in place of Deans, Cooper said:

"I don't know if I will talk to Robbie again. But me and him haven't talked much in the past year anyway.

``I have no negative feelings at all. I don't regret anything.

"Now is just about congratulating Ewen.

"I'm just really proud he got the job. I know how hard he has worked, he's a great coach and a great person.

"Everyone who knows him is so happy for him just from a respect point of view.''

TOXICITY READING: 5

Quade Cooper and his Wallaby teammates warm up during a training session in London this week.

Quade Cooper and his Wallaby teammates warm up during a training session in London this week. Source: Getty Images

JULY 14, 2013:

Cooper said he had no regrets about his previous comments and backed his ``honest'' approach.

"Not at all," Cooper said.

"It's a trait that is sometimes hard to come by, honest people, and sometimes you can be too honest, but so be it. If you feel a certain way, I encourage people to speak out rather than bottle those feelings, for good or bad.

"You see cases in the NRL where guys have bottled things up and they have gone completely off the rails ... it might have been the wrong way that I spoke about things, but it is what it is and I've moved on.

"I am enjoying rugby and life in general."

TOXICITY READING: 3

AUGUST 8, 2013:

Cooper admits spending time away from Wallabies teammates helped him to grow as a player and person.

"Growing up is an accumulation of things,'' Cooper said.

"If you are too ignorant not to learn from your mistakes, you are never going to improve as a player or a person. I learned a lot from having my time out, from being injured and not being part of the team. I am 25 now, I'm not getting any younger. You have to make the most of it.''

TOXICITY READING: Nil

OCTOBER 31, 2013:

Cooper is named Wallabies vice-captain for the clash against England, rendering him "a bit speechless''.

"I didn't know what to say,'' Cooper said.

"There was a great deal of happiness.

"To get that vice-captaincy next to my name is something I see as being pretty special but I'm just going to concentrate on doing the best job I can for the team within my role at No. 10.'

TOXICITY READING: Nil

01 Nov, 2013


-
Source: http://www.news.com.au/sport/rugby-gold/quade-coopers-year-in-quotes-from-toxic-environment-to-speechless-for-new-wallaby-vicecaptain/story-fndpu22x-1226751280508?from=public_rss
--
Manage subscription | Powered by rssforward.com