Saturday, November 2, 2013

I'm a class above, Choc: Green

Danny Green

Danny Green pens an open letter to Anthony Mundine. Source: News Limited

MATE, a few days ago you stated that 'I'm not on your level.' And for once, I agree. I'm not on your level ... I'm way above, in a different class.

Since losing to you almost eight years ago, I've won multiple world titles, in separate divisions, and proved super middleweight was well outside my depth in regards to making the weight safely, medically.

Yet although I was shockingly underweight, emaciated, you couldn't dent me. Couldn't keep me off. You won that fight, no doubt, but then avoided the rematch that was part of our contract.

Not that I blame you Choc. I'd be worried too if, having thrown everything at the shell of an athlete, he was still coming at the final bell.

Many sparring partners we've shared since have indicated great differences in performance, strength and power between us, which would concern you. Indeed, I've since employed international sparring partners that would defeat you, such is the difference in our levels.

Yet while my career went up following our fight, yours has grown insignificant internationally.

I retired briefly, then accepted your request of a rematch. So you went down in weight. Why call me out if you had no intentions of fighting?

Anthony Mundine

Anthony Mundine has been called on to retire. Source: News Limited

Against Garth Wood, whom I respect greatly, you were embarrassed. Proving also that we can all can be defeated by anyone on a particular night.

Anyway, I carried on, moved to cruiserweight and as a five-to-one underdog, in what the boxing experts publicly stated would be the greatest victory of any Aussie fighter on home soil, beat the legendary Roy Jones Junior — within a round.

So you, somewhat comically, attempted to get on TV by storming the ring and challenging me. Remember that? But you need to earn such moments Choc, not merely crave them.

Soon after you said you'd 'whip me again'. So I offered to split a purse, 45% each, with the rest donated to indigenous youth. Incredibly you went silent, despite the opportunity to make a huge impact for 'your people'.

You left 'your people' posted.

And just on that, I regularly get indigenous folk from all walks of life telling me how you don't represent them. How they would love to see me knock you cold.

Geale-Mundine

Anthony Mundine lands one against Daniel Geale. Source: News Limited

Maybe my following is so strong because I actually represent 'the people' of this great country. Every race and religion, not one.

Over the years you've made plenty of inflammatory comments too. Always around fight time. Always to make a dollar — no matter how much it hurts or divides the community.

And, okay, we all make mistakes. Mine was agreeing to fight Paul Briggs. A fight where, while I did my job as a professional, he did not.

And if I could go back, I'd change it. But I walk tall knowing I didn't intentionally do anything wrong, which was proven afterwards in a hearing.

You, meanwhile, are a walking headline. You call out the world's best fighter, Floyd Mayweather, yet dodge a purse bid with Austin Trout — the world champion whose belt could've got you there.

Danny Green - Ruttyn

Green v Cameron: Danny wins by unanimous decision. Picture: Sam Ruttyn Source: The Daily Telegraph

You claimed you wanted bigger names than Trout, then fought a guy called Bronco McKart — selling less than 300 tickets in Las Vegas.

We cannot deny you aim very high, if in reality shoot real low.

Elsewhere, I've also paved the way for bringing international superstars Down Under by ensuring Roy Jones Jnr and Antonio Tarver were guaranteed in excess $1 million before entering the country.

Given you've promoted 45 of 49 fights, you know what's required to make such fights happen. You knew Shane Mosley was disgruntled; could've stepped in and guaranteed his purse with the wealth you've accumulated.

So don't blame the promoter please. Financially, he was out of his depth. Yet you've ensured fights go ahead with deals in change room toilet blocks minutes before they took place.

So why didn't you step in against Mosley? We both know you could have.

And now you're coming out to say you'll fight me again.

Danny Green

Danny Green ahead of what is set to be his last hurrah. Picture: Michael Klein Source: Herald Sun

Yet you know 168 pounds 'or a little more' is unrealistic. I defied all odds by even making the weight last time.

I've taken on some of the biggest and baddest at cruiserweight. I've beaten some. Been knocked out by others.

But I gained respect doing so.

Your 'low risk- high reward' formula, however, is now transparent. You crave greatness yet you're unwilling to earn it.

Three times you've rematched other opponents and stated publicly that you will 'fight me at heavyweight.'

I'm an easy fight for you Anthony. You've said it many times. I am without question the biggest financial opportunity you will ever face ... unless, of course, Mayweather agrees to face a rival unable to sell even 300 tickets.

I didn't write this to get a reaction from you. No, I wrote this in reply to YOUR challenge — again.

Quite simply Choc, you are not the fighter you preach to be. You are a great athlete. Your father was an awesome fighter.

But you are good, at best.

You had a chance many years ago to test your ability against better fighters, but didn't.

So while I could never fight again and be proud of my career, you continually say you'll rematch me. Okay, but please don't use weight differences as an issue.

You come up a bit, I come down a bit. Easy.

It's obvious the fear of being hurt in the ring deters you from taking risks. That's cool, we're not all wired the same. But please respect the sport that's made you wealthy by taking the fights that matter. By doing what you say and earning your stripes.

You called it. You got the balls?

02 Nov, 2013


-
Source: http://www.news.com.au/national/danny-green-pens-an-open-letter-to-his-arch-rival-anthony-the-man-mundine/story-e6frfkp9-1226751579927?from=public_rss
--
Manage subscription | Powered by rssforward.com