Saturday, November 2, 2013

Ange to pick 'Roos old boys

 Socceroos trio L-R Tim Cahill, Mark Schwarzer and Lucas Neill

Socceroos trio L-R Tim Cahill, Mark Schwarzer and Lucas Neill Source: News Limited

FORECASTS of instant mass Socceroos changes are off the mark with veterans Lucas Neill, Mark Schwarzer and Tim Cahill set to be named in Ange Postecoglou's inaugural squad on Wednesday.

It appears there won't be many surprises in the 23-man squad for the Costa Rica friendly in Sydney on November 19, with the biggest shake-up to take place in the first XI.

The likes of Rhys Williams, Dario Vidosic and Matthew Leckie will be called up but the younger crop hoping to get a look in will have to wait until the next camp at least.

Postecoglou has opted to play just one friendly - against a Costa Rican side expected to include Wellington's Carlos Hernandez - giving himself over a week with the squad during which time he will discuss his vision with the Socceroos' veterans.

"The one thing I do always is make sure I make informed decisions," Postecoglou said upon his appointment 10 days ago.

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - OCTOBER 24: Coach Ange Postecoglou looks ahead during a Melbourne Victory A-League training session at Go

MELBOURNE, AUSTRALIA - OCTOBER 24: Coach Ange Postecoglou looks ahead during a Melbourne Victory A-League training session at Gosch's Paddock on October 24, 2013 coach in Melbourne, Australia. (Photo by Michael Dodge/Getty Images) Source: Getty Images

"I won't be going in there with any preconceptions, I've got my ideas about how I want the team to play and I've got my ideas about how I want the environment structured and the organisation structured and we'll find out who fits in that.

"But I'm not going in there with a target or a hit list of people, it's not the way I work. Sometimes people surprise you.

"My job is, I walk in there and I want to get the best out of every player that's available and I certainly don't discount anyone from that.

Tim Cahill (R) is expected to be named in Ange Postecoglou's squad to face Costa Rica.

"But will there be changes? Of course there will. I've got my own way of doing things and whenever that happens along the way there are changes to personnel and the way we operate."

After the Costa Rica game Postecoglou will then spend the bulk of the next few months scout the dozens of Aussies playing abroad, meaning the March 5 FIFA date looms as the crucial one ahead of the 2014 World Cup.

Australia's friendly opponent and venue will be determined after the FIFA World Cup draw in Brazil on December 6 which Postecoglou and a bunch of FFA delegates will be attending.

02 Nov, 2013


-
Source: http://www.news.com.au/national/ange-postecoglou-to-name-tim-cahill-lucas-neill-and-mark-schwarzer-for-costa-rica/story-e6frfkp9-1226751989520?from=public_rss
--
Manage subscription | Powered by rssforward.com